Helmut Kopka's interpretation of the TDS

Sebastian Rahtz twg-tds@mail.tug.org
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:18:17 GMT

Paul A. Vojta writes:
 > That is, as far as I can tell, the benefits to users are all negative:
 >
 >    o	TeX and its support programs become bigger and slower.
i don't see why; we know they are not slower, and the extra size is
surely trivial?

 >    o	If you want to look directly at a macro file (e.g., plain.tex or
 > 	amstex.tex) (which I do from time to time), then you have to dig
 > 	to find it.
surely the *opposite* is true. now we all know where plain.rtex is,
instead of having to guess!!

 > The only benefits to TDS that I see are for site admins (and others higher
 > up on the pyramid).  Perhaps you lump site admins in with users?  Or
 > are there benefits to users (construed narrowly) that I am not aware of?
yes, its predictable where to find macro files...

if i want to look at plain.tex, i do "vi `kpsewhich tex plain.tex` ":-}

sebastian