.fd files

Sebastian Rahtz twg-tds@mail.tug.org
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:31:38 GMT

 > 1) .fd and font .sty files
 > -- do we need to say something about them?  Probably.  But what?
i forget what the issue was. they belong to the originating package,
dont they? i mean, if i make claim to the name `psnfss' as a latex
package, then tex/latex/psnfss contains loads of .fd files for bad or worse

 > 2) a list of environment variables
 > -- would probably be out of date as soon as it was published?
 >    And it would be painful to list all of the dozens of relevant variables.
and the fact that each implementation has different ones. i'd say
forget it...

 > 3) a description of file formats
 > -- This seems better as a separate document to me.  It's also a
 >    nontrivial undertaking, and doesn't seem essential to publish tds 1.0.
i agree. not part of the TDS. you end up with an introduction to TeX
before you know where you are!

sebastian