Feeling uncomfortable with designation `public'

TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:50:56 +0100

I feel more and more uncomfortable with the designation `public' in the
font tree. I think, all ``supported'' fonts should be sorted under their
supporter.

The reasons are:

a) `public' is easily mistaken for `public domain' by the general public,
allthough almost all font currently sorted under `public' aren't.

b) There is ongoing talk (e.g. on comp.fonts) which wants to equate
public with low quality. Of course, the originators of that talk have
commercial interest in this perception, however the contributors of
free font probably don't want to find their work in a directory named `low
quality' in public perception.

c) For supported fonts, the authors accept bug reports (even if they may
wait 3 years before taking them from their stack). So why not giving the
athors credit in the directory tree?

d) Even the font donated by their founderies to the X consortium (and are
therefore more public than many `public' METAFONTs) are listed in the
sample tree under the name of the foundery. So there's unequal treatment
of `public' fonts.

For me (as a font author), b) is most serious.

--J"org Knappen