Installing TDS at Sussex

Pierre MacKay TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 17:10:27 -0700

   Karl pointed out kpsewhich to me, which makes life much easier.  The
   algorithm I now use is (in pidgin sh):

      FONTHOME = `kpsewhich $NAME.mf || kpsewhich $NAME.tfm`

      ... tear $FONTHOME apart to get the appropriate bits and pieces ...

   This will die horribly if anyone installs their own mf or type1 fonts,
   but it's not obvious what to do in that situation.  But I doubt this
   is very likely here...

What's wrong with:

% Ditto for MF.
MFINPUTS = .:$TEXMF/mf//:$PRIVATE/fonts//src//:$TEXMF/fonts//src//

% Device-independent font metric files.
VFFONTS = .:$PRIVATE/fonts//vf:$TEXMF/fonts//vf
TFMFONTS = .:$PRIVATE/fonts//tfm:$TEXMF/fonts//tfm

% Just an abbreviation.
pkdir = $TEXMF/fonts//pk
privatepkdir = $TEXMF/private/fonts//pk

and so on?  It works, and neatly separates the publishable
glyphs from the commercial ones.

(This is a nasty old supplier-first organization, but it's
my own system.)

%=======================================================================%
|                             N O T I C E                               |
|  Please note the changes in address and telephone number below.       |
|  There is no Northwest Computing Support Center any longer.           |
|  Until further notice, I shall be continuing to provide tape          |
|  distributions  and whatever other services I can.                    |
Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software may be sent
To:     mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Department of Classics			Emeritus Druid for
	Denny Hall, Mail Stop DH-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-2268 (Message recorder)