I'm back (I think :-)...

Joachim Schrod TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 19:01:26 +0200 (MESZ)

Rich wrote:

> I am still quite interested in the idea of a Registry for TDS names, but
> I never got much (read, ANY) reaction to my specific proposals from the
> TeX wizards out there.

Oops, I have forgotten to forward to this list a discussion I had on
comp.text.tex. It started with the question of easier TeX
installation, and I presented the TDSR idea as a means to get
automatic installation. I append my old article below, FYI.

For the record: 5 people reacted. 3 thought that the whole hassle is
unnecessary anyhow, and 2 agreed to my proposal. Neither the amount
nor the tendency of this reaction encouraged my to follow this path
further.

Executive summary: Compared to Rich's proposal, I would prefer a more
high-level description, where the directory information may be deduced
from automatically and where the information doesn't need updates more
often.

Cheers
	Joachim

---------------- included article follows: