texmf/tex/config

Ulrik Vieth TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:10:20 +0100

> All these are good questions. I don't know the answers. Here's a proposal:

> 1) we drop the explicit config/ directory;

> 2) config files as distributed with the package go wherever the rest of
> the package goes (why did we separate them in the first place?).

> 3) locally-modified config files are ``local additions'' and treated as
> such. No need for a separate directory.

> I think this matches reality more closely than our current text.
> Is the latex base distribution really supposed to provide a config/
> directory for its .cfg files, as we currently imply? Or the local
> installer create a config directory on their cdrom :-)?

Well, maybe I wouldn't go as far as dropping config/ completely.
Perhaps we could reserve config/ as a special case of local/ which is
intended only for locally-modified as opposed to other local packages.
At least the teTeX distribution contains a couple of sample config
files to help people get going without much fuss and I think it's
good that they are collected in one place in a config/ directory.

- Ulrik.