.. in search paths

Ulrik Vieth TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:00:06 +0100

>       We recommend all implementations have default search paths that start
>       with the current directory (e.g., `\path|.|').

>     Maybe add the Knuth recommends including \path|..| as well?

> He does? I wouldn't want to recommend that as a default for
> implementations to provide.

Yes, I remember someone told us that he suggested that after the TDS
presentation at the last TUG meeting.  The reasoning was that you could
put a test version of a file in a subdirectory and run TeX (or whatever)
there without clobbering the previous version while still finding all
other related input files when searching \path|..|

People may have different opinions whether this is useful or not, but
it was told that this was his feedback on the TDS.

- Ulrik.