tds 0.99

Ulrik Vieth TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 11:09:44 +0100

Paul writes:
> But also, I think that the issue of when duplicate file names within
> texmf/tex are allowed should be explicitly addressed.  Current practice seems
> to be:

>     1.	names of TeX input files must be unique within any of the first-level
> 	subdirectories of texmf/tex, and
>     2.	names of image input files must be unique within texmf/tex.

Don't forget that there is another -- sometimes even more irritating -- limitation:

      3.	names of METAFONT font files must be unique withing texmf/fonts.

This currently prevents me from installing some non-standard cm variants
that come with modified versions of punct.mf, romanl.mf, romanu.mf.
(This real world example is for the cmttss{c,lc,bc} fonts by Art Ogawa.)
Installing them below texmf/fonts/source/public/cmttss would affect the
standard cm fonts if cmttss/*.mf is found before cm/*.mf during searching.

I don't have a solution to offer for this, but it might be a good idea
to point out this restriction on the uniqueness of file names.

Cheers,
Ulrik.