Feeling uncomfortable with designation `public'

Pierre MacKay TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 12:42:23 -0700

Well,, the idea was that public means fonts which you don't have to
worry about passing on to others.  You don't have to check with
DEK before giving his source away with an installation package.
You do with a B&H font.

Sure, it is a rather different matter from "foundry" names, and
it leaves anomalies in the case of Utopia, Charter etc., but even those
are not public.  They are still licensed, it is just that the
license is free.

What do we do with N. Billawalla, and Tom Ridgeway.  Are they
Foundries?  Am I? or am I a sub branch of Silvio Levy and he is
a foundry.  In that case Y. Haralambous is a sub branch of Silvio
Levy as well, but only sometimes.  Because of the way I use
the Levy font, I have to package it along with Ibycus.  What
foundry/supplier does that go under?  The topology gets
horrendous.  Giving a supplier name is an indication that
the supplier  owns this, and probably need to deal with  the
supplier about licensing.  Giving the name "public" usually means
that the font has been put in the public domain.  It makes a
difference.

%=======================================================================%
|                             N O T I C E                               |
|  Please note the changes in address and telephone number below.       |
|  There is no Northwest Computing Support Center any longer.           |
|  Until further notice, I shall be continuing to provide tape          |
|  distributions  and whatever other services I can.                    |
Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software may be sent
To:     mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Department of Classics			Emeritus Druid for
	Denny Hall, Mail Stop DH-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-2268 (Message recorder)