TeX directory structures

Louis Vosloo 71172.524@compuserve.com
11 Oct 94 16:24:27 EDT

NAME: Berthold K.P. Horn

EMAIL:	71172.524@compuserve.com

TEX IMPLEMENTATION:		Y&YTeX

This version of TeX currently supports (delete ones which don't apply):

 * many-level subdirectory searching (for example, you can
   specify fonts/tfm and it will find fonts/tfm/adobe/times/ptmr7t.tfm)

> By this time next year, this version of TeX should (don't worry, we
> won't hold you to this one!) support:

* as above.

If the TUG technical working group ask us to, we will implement:

 * many-level subdirectory searching

Any other comments:

Yes, but not uniformly.  When you say `TeX implementation' Are you
talking strictly about TeX itself or all of the associated stuff such as
previewer, printer drivers, utilities etc...

Automatic sub-directory searching was put in mostly for people
migrating from Unix. Most people don't use it much.  It seems most
useful for figthing with those huge trees of PK files that bitmapped
implementations have to content with - which we don't have.

Regards, Berthold