[Tugindia] merging of columns

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Thu Jun 30 07:15:46 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 1:50 AM, jaspreet kaur <jaspritsarao at gmail.com>wrote:

> >    Sorry, unable to understand
> I want to make a table having 4 columns and 6 rows
> in the last row i want to merge 2 and 1/2 columns and remaining is one and
> half
> i used the code:
> \multicolumn{3}{text} & {text}
> it
> merges three column
> please help me

Sorry, I misunderstood what you want.
What you want can be done, but it is a bit laborious.
You have to do the following:

   1. Declare 5 columns.
   2. In the first 5 rows, merge columns 3 and 4 with
   rows of the form
   column1 text&column2 text &\multicolumn{2}{column 4 text}&
   column 5 text
   3. In the last column use
   \multicolumn{3}{2 and a half columns text}&\multicolumn{2}{1 and a half
   columns text.}

Here is a self contained snippet. The length of the
columns may need some fine tuning, depending on the
text.

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\begin{tabular}{|*5{c|}}

1&2&\multicolumn{2}{c}{3}&4\\

1&2&\multicolumn{2}{c}{3}&4\\

1&2&\multicolumn{2}{c}{3}&4\\

1&2&\multicolumn{2}{c}{3}&4\\

1&2&\multicolumn{2}{c}{3}&4\\

\multicolumn{3}{c|}{123}&\multicolumn{2}{c}{12}

\end{tabular}

\end{document}

best,
S. Venkataraman