[Tugindia] A LaTex Editor that is user friendly

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Mon Jul 11 07:00:28 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Kannan Moudgalya <kannan at iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> Mayuresh wrote:
>
>> vi and/or emacs usually fit the bill. They are compact, fast etc. beside
>> being highly customizable.
>>

> I agree.  I use emacs on my system.  Pressing Control-C twice compiles the
> file.  If a correct pdf reader (not adobe acrobat) is used, the file is also
> refreshed automatically.  I use skim on my Mac OS X.  On Windows, Sumatra
> and on Linux, xpdf can be used.
>
> I wonder how difficult it is to install emacs or vi on Windows.
>
> Kannan

I think emacs+auctex combination is unbeatable.
With the preview package, you can preview the mathematics
part within the emacs buffer.
However, installing auctex may be a challenge for the beginners.
If you are using xemacs, this problem is not there. Xemacs provides
auctex as a package.

Kile is good, but the binaries are slightly old and
I usually download the source and compile it.  Again,
it has the the same problem like in auctex.

If you want a compact, user friendly editor that
is also easy to install, I recommend texworks.
 It has a simple interface.
It has a built in pdf file viewer that allows inverse search,
i.e. you can click on the pdf file to go to the corresponding
portion in the source file.  It supports xetex and xelatex.
You can also use multiple files with a master document.
You can use the dictionaries of open office for spell checking.
It is available with miktex and you can install it easily if
are running ubuntu.  You have to add the repository that
has texworks, select texworks from synaptic package manager
and install it in no time.
https://launchpad.net/~texworks/+archive/stable
Whenever there are updates, it will update automatically.

Incidentally, texworks is inspired by texshop, a latex interface
for Mac OS X, which is apparently very popular among Mac OS X users.
Texshop is also free.
http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/
Best,
S. Venkataraman.