[Tugindia] Doubts on Theorems and Lemmas

ramki at ee.iitkgp.ernet.in ramki at ee.iitkgp.ernet.in
Thu Nov 11 03:54:34 CET 2010

Dear Mr. Abhilash,
                  Thanks so much. It works beautifully.
with warm regards,
Ramki
EE/IIT Kharagpur
----- Original Message -----
From: Abhilash G <abhilash at nitc.ac.in>
Sent: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:30:49 +0530 (IST)
Subject: Re: [Tugindia] Doubts on Theorems and Lemmas

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:42 PM, <ramki at ee.iitkgp.ernet.in> wrote:

> Dear all,
>        Greetings. I am writing a small paper containing few theorems and
> lemmas in LaTex. I have declared my document class as ‘article’. I want my
> theorems and lemmas to appear in this format: Theorem 1.1, if it appears as
> first theorem in first section of the paper, Lemma 3.2 if it is the second
> lemma in third section of the paper and so on while using the conventional
> \begin....\end format. But since the document class is declared as
> ‘article’, I am not getting in the format I require. Lemmas and Theorem
> appear as Lemma 1, Lemma 2…, Theorem 1, Theorem 2 etc. irrespective of the
> section information. Can some one sort me out?
> With cordial regards,
> Ramki
> IIT Kharagpur

Please see section 3.4.3 (page 56) of the book: Leslie Lamport, "LaTeX,"
Pearson Education, 1994 (Third Indian Reprint 2002).

\newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem}[section] % This appears in the preamble.

\begin{theorem}

Statements of the theorem ....

\end{theorem}

---------
G. Abhilash, National Institute of Technology, Calicut.