[Tugindia] Hindi Typesetting; high quality graphics design; news-paper/news-letter production

Raj Singh raj.ceeri at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:06:26 CEST 2010

Hello,

> I am looking for demo/training in Delhi for using LaTeX to typeset Hindi
> texts, easily. A detailed step by step description about how to set-up
> needed software and write a "hello world" kind of document can also work,
> but I have not been able to find this thus far.

Dug from my email archive of TUG-India (2002-2003 period). It is still valid.

First get the 'devanagari' package from any CTAN site. Uncompress it
and put the various files in the 'appropriate' places by creating new
directories in your $TEXMF path.

Basically do the following :

1. Put the defs.mf, dnchars.mf and dvng*.mf files in
$TEXMF/fonts/source/public/devanagari.

2. Put the dvng*.tfm files in $TEXMF/fonts/tfm/public/devanagari.

3. Put dev.sty, dnmacs.tex, udn.fd, manual.tex, misspaal.tex,
examples.tex in $TEXMF/tex/latex/devanagari.

4. Give the 'texhash' command.

5. Compile devnag.c and put the resultant 'devnag' binary in /usr/local/bin.

6. Give the 'rehash' command.

7. I hope that you have 'xdvi' and 'gv' compiled to use the 'on need'
generated 'pk' fonts which usually are put in /var/lib/texmf/pk/... path.

8. Make your <file>.dn. 'devnag' it. 'latex' the resultant <file>.tex.
 View and print it.

-- Raj