[Tugindia] Setting up MacTex on an Imac

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Tue Aug 31 15:39:20 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:34 PM, David Owen <twychicky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Everybody,
> I recently got an iMac and want to install MacTex. After downloading and
> "double clicking" and getting the message about a successful installation, I
> am unable to find where it was installed, although it said that it would be
> installed in  Macintosh HD.                         . Thinking there may
> have been a problem I also installed the Zip file using the Terminal screen
> and "unzip". This also installed it ( I think), but again I cannot find any
> trace.
> Can someone tell me what is Happening and where everything is or what I have
> done wrong?

Not sure anything is wrong.  Your binaries should be available from
the shell (Terminal.app) as

/usr/texbin/tex
/usr/texbin/latex
/usr/texbin/xetex
/usr/texbin/luatex

-- etc., etc.  You can also try using the TeXShop application (which
will be in Applications --> TeX on the Macintosh HD) if you prefer a
GUI to the shell+Emacs route.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao