[Tugindia] [OT]scilab advanced workshop at Pune

Manjusha Joshi manjusha.joshi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 15:05:52 CEST 2010

Dear Professor Phatak,

> I saw the announcement of scilab workshop. I am sure it will be a useful
> workshop for students.

> I am teaching computational mentods course for third year integrated MSc
> students here. I was planning to have mathematica as part of the course
> but looks like scilab can also be another option.

For numerical computing scilab is very good option.
There are new tool boxes also.
Maxima is open source alternative to Mathematica  useful for symbolic computing.

In scilab,  Maxima toolbox is also available.

> Idea would be to have
> some project for them to work out using it. For that your workshop will be
> excellent introduction. My problem is, I won't be able to come to Pune
> because the courses are running. Will it be possible to get some on-line
> study material which I can go through and plan the course?

Yes! We will upload the material on http://fossme.bprim.org
We are planning for video recording of the entire workshop. We can
make it available through web.
Yet  no clear  plans about how to do it.

Regards,

PS: I guess by  accident  Prof. Phatak replied  on mailing list. I
replied on mailing list for awareness of usuability of   FOSS maths
software for users. Rest of the thread will go out off the mailing
list.

--
Manjusha S. Joshi
P.I. of project on Use of Open source software for Teaching Maths,