[Tugindia] MHRD mission to spread open source software in India

Kannan Moudgalya kannan at iitb.ac.in
Fri Jun 5 10:40:00 CEST 2009

Hello,

MHRD has launched a national mission on education through ICT
(www.sakshat.ac.in) to improve the levels of education in India.  One of
the activities identified for this purpose is to spread open source
software in India.  MHRD invites proposals from all enthusiastic
experts.  Work in all areas are welcome: popularisation, use,
development and documentation.

IIT Bombay has obtained funding for this purpose.  Our areas of focus
are Python (see Prabhu's mail at the bottom), Scilab, TeX family and
Blender.  We are looking for collaborators and also for people who will
work with us.

In the Scilab area, some of the activities are
1.  Programming - improving the GUI, removing the bugs, adding new features.
2.  Adding functions through Scilab's inbuilt language.
3.  Improving the existing documentation and creating new documentation.

For people who want to work with us, some of the required qualifications
are:
A.  Any bachelor's degree or higher.  Students working towards their
degree (part or full time) also are ok.
B.  Good familiarity in any one of Scilab, Matlab, Octave, Matrix-x or
any other package in this family.
C.  Ability to write and speak well in any Indian language, including
English.

We are asking people who can write and speak well (item C in the above
list), because we want to create spoken tutorials.  Some examples of the
spoken tutorials are at www.moudgalya.org - see the link for tutorials
on LaTeX.  As only a head phone with audio input is required to create
these tutorials, even students without much infrastructure can
contribute.  We are interested in generation of these spoken tutorials
in all the areas mentioned above (Python, Scilab, TeX family, Blender).
Funding is available to support this activity.

I would like to receive your inputs.  I would also like to hear from
prospective collaborators and prospective staff members.

Regards.

Kannan Moudgalya