[Tugindia] Malayalam Latex

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Fri Jun 5 02:05:54 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM, V. Sasi Kumar
<sasi.keraladevelopment at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 20:13 +0530, Sebastian Vattamattam wrote:
>> I wonder if there is Malayalam LaTex. If there is I would like to learn. Pls help me.
>
> You can create Malayalam documents using LaTeX or Omega. In the former,
> you type Malayalam using English alphabets (as in Manglish, for example)
> while in the latter you can directly type in Malayalam Unicode. In

I don't know Malayalam, but in general for Indian language texts,
particularly so multi-lingual documents (e.g., a Malayalam text with
an interleaved Hindi translation), the best solution in my opinion is
to use XeTeX or XeLaTeX.  These are rapidly becoming the worldwide
standard for even scholarly work involving non-Roman fonts, and their
use is much more convenient than putting up with the lots of
backslashing required with plain LaTeX.  XeTeX and XeLaTeX are
included in TeX Live 2008 and major distributions like the latest
flavor of MiKTeX.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao