[Tugindia] can't find TeXBook to learn TeX

Senthil Kumar M senthil.debian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 12:01:05 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:18 PM, arnuld <arnuld at ippimail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I have searched all major online shops like sapnaonline.com and
>  gobookshopping.com but I am unable to find TeXBook. How am I supposed to
>  learn TeX and geta reference manual for it ?

Hi,

1. Most people use LaTeX, a collection of TeX macros instead of using
TeX directly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX).

2. You may, however, have your own reasons to learn TeX instead of
LaTeX. If you were not able to procure The TeXbook, there are some, if
not entirely satisfactory, alternatives. Example:
http://makingtexwork.sourceforge.net/mtw/ (Released under the  GNU
Free Documentation License).

3. Consider searching the archives of newsgroups such as comp.text.tex
or mailing lists such as TUGIndia, texhax etc. and web in general,
using your favourite web search engine.

HTH,

Senthil