[Tugindia] installing wikner's devanagari fonts on Linux

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.com
Mon Sep 19 06:33:23 CEST 2005

On Mon, September 19, 2005 1:18 am, Ravi Parimi said:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to figure out how to install Wikner's fonts on my
> Linux machine (CentOS 4.1).
> I downloaded all the files from
> ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/languages/sanskrit/
>
> and went through all the steps detailed in the readme.txt to create
> the .fm, .tfm etc.. files
>
> There are some parts in the readme I am unable to understand. It
> mentions that the files ifthen.sty, relsize.sty and multicol.sty are

ifthen.sty and multicol.sty are part of any standard TeX distribution.
It should be available at your:

  $TEXMF/tex/latex/tools/multicol.sty
  $TEXMF/tex/latex/base/ifthen.sty

($TEXMF in a linux box might be /usr/share/texmf or /usr/local/texmf or
/usr/local/share/texmf or ...)

relsize.sty is available at:

 ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/misc/relsize.sty

> required, but I do not find them either in the downloaded directory or
> on my linux machine.
>
> Also, now that I have these *.fm, *.tfm files, I do not know where to
> copy them and how to let the latex system know that these files are
> present. I searched the web and briefly looked at the fontinst guide
> as well, but am not sure how I should proceed from here.

copy the *.mf (not *.fm) files to:

  $TEXMF/fonts/source/public/sanskrit

copy the *.tfm files to:

  $TEXMF/fonts/tfm/public/sanskrit

copy the *.pfb files to:

  $TEXMF/fonts/type1/public/sanskrit

copy the *.fd and *.sty files to:

  $TEXMF/tex/latex/psnfss

copy the *.map file to:

  $TEXMF/dvips/config

Open $TEXMF/dvips/config/config.ps in a text editor and add the following
line at the end:

 p +skt.map

Save the file and exit.

Run 'texhash' from the command prompt to update your TeX's file database.
That is all.

> Can someone please show me how to get these fonts installed on my
> system? Any pointers to documentation will also be very helpful.
>
> I looked at a few sanskrit (Vedic) documents written using Wikner's
> fonts and am very impressed with their quality. I'd be glad to know if
> there are newer (or better) versions of devanagari fonts (that support
> vedic accents) that can be installed on Linux systems.

You might take a look at

  http://sarovar.org/projects/devnag

which is the project page of devnagari fonts for TeX and friends.  You can
grab the newest version of the fonts here.

Best