[Tugindia] equation- how to

Duvvuri Venu Gopal venugopal_duvvuri at rediffmail.com
Thu Oct 20 06:50:28 CEST 2005

  Dear Sreejith,

Have you gone through the LaTeX Primer? or The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX? or any other book. All these have good examples.

When $ is encountered TeX starts math composing. Mathematical commandslike \left\{ or \int are available only in math mode. When TeX encounters these commands and if they are not in math mode TeX inserts a $.

The problem in your equation may be that you have not kept them
in math mode i.e., between

1) \begin{equation} ... \end{equation} or
3) \begin{eqnarray} ... \end{eqnarray}

Please read the above mentioned abooks - LaTeX Primer is available from www.tug.org.in. The second book might already there on your hard disk - search for lshort.pdf. For maths the best book is by Herbert Voss called Mathmode.

With best wishes

D. Venu Gopal