[Tugindia] RE: TeX equation margin

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Thu May 5 09:16:03 CEST 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Vinoth Kumar S. wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> In a tex document I always used " $$ .. $$ " - for display equations.
> Its default (setting) is center. I will try to make the equation with
> leftindent of some pts.
>
> Please suggest me, how to do this without using " \[ .. \] ".

If you're using plain TeX, one solution would be something like

   $$
   \leftline{\indent$\displaystyle x+y=z$}
   $$

If you're using LaTeX, it'd be better if you use the "amsmath" package
with the "fleqn" option and then use the environment
"\begin{equation*}...\end{equation*} (for unnumbered equation)
instead of "$$...$$", as in

   \usepackage[fleqn]{amsmath}

   \begin{equation*}
     2x+3y=4z