[Tugindia] Problem with dvips?

Sridhar M.A. sridharma at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 05:09:30 CET 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:22:36 +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape
<kapil at imsc.res.in> wrote:

> >  OS : Debian Sarge
> >  TeX :  tetex 2.0.2
> >  dvips(k) : 5.92b
>
> This may not be enough info as it says nothing about what fonts you have
> installed! But let me take a guess anyway...

Yes :-( But, as I noted, the fonts are kannada ttf fonts converted
using ttf2mf. Since, they are not easily reproducible, I did not
mention them. Sorry.

> You need to provide the appropriate map file for dvips to pick up the
> postscript Type 1 fonts.

Again as I mentioned it is strange because the very same setup worked
earlier. I replicated
this setup on other machines. Funny thing, I get the proper ps files
on other machines, but
not on which things started :-(

> Clearly you have *an* appropriate map file as pdftex and dvipdfm are
> picking up the fonts.

As per the docs, I have to specify the map file in
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
and run update-updmap as root which should set up things correctly.
Have done that.

If it is of any help, debian also has a package, dvi2ps. This
generates the ps file
properly. But, it is very limited in its capability to produce a
'mirrored' output which
the printers demand.

> Perhaps you need to install "psfontmgr" and "defoma".

They are.

$ apt-cache policy psfontmgr defoma
psfontmgr:
  Installed: 0.11.8-0.1
  Candidate: 0.11.8-0.1
  Version Table:
 *** 0.11.8-0.1 0
        900 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages
         95 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
defoma:
  Installed: 0.11.8-0.1
  Candidate: 0.11.8-0.1
  Version Table:
 *** 0.11.8-0.1 0
        900 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages
         95 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> Also as far as I know Postscript can only handle Postscript fonts whereas
> PDF can handle True Type fonts as well.

Am not sure. If so, how do I make it use the ttf fonts rather than the
type1 fonts it
generally expects?

Regards,

--