[Tugindia] ps and jpg files in pdfscreen

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:26:21 CEST 2005

bp wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am using pdfscreen package for presentation.
> I already have few .jpg files in the pdf file.
> I want to insert few .eps files in the tex file with pdfscreen package.
> With pdf file only .jpg, .png will go but not .eps.
> What will be the quick trick to do so?
> This .eps files are made with pstricks.
>
> -Manjusha Joshi

I use GhostScript for that:

gs -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dEPSCrop -sDEVICE=pdfwrite\
-sOutputFile=filename.pdf filename.eps

(Use 'gs' under linux, under windows you have to use 'gswin32' and
include the whole path to your GhostScript binary.)

Some old versions of GhostScript don't understand the -dEPSCrop command.

In a very similar manner you can convert your (E)PS into PNG for example:

gs -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dEPSCrop -sDEVICE=png16m\
-dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r200x200\
-sOutputFile=filename.png filename.eps

See http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/GPL/8.15/Use.htm.

ImageMagic; eps2pdf, ps2pdf, epstopdf, pstopdf or whatever the programs
are called, usually use gs in background and do exactly the same, just
in a more user-friendly manner.

Take also a look at metapost and mptopdf
(http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/metafun-s.pdf) as well as
ConTeXt in general (http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm).

Mojca