[Tugindia] Ligature problem

Ragu.solaiappan, Integra ragu.solaiappan at integra-india.com
Sat Mar 6 12:42:11 CET 2004

Dear TUGIndia,

I have a suggestion regarding the ligature problem; if it is wrong, plesase
help me to find other alternative solution.

As we know that

"Replacement of character sequences by ligatures is controlled by
information in the tfm
file of a font  -- not from any external source. Ligatures are formed from
<character> commands:
sequences such as fi are replaced by ‘fi’ in a given font."

So, what i have done is i have removed the characters like "fi, fl, ffl,
ffi, ff" from the PFB and generated the TFM by using afmtotfm.exe  --
fontographer will help to remove characters. By this method, i can remove
all the ligatures TFM, without entering into .tex files. It works good to
me, but i dont know what are all the side effects it will give?

If any alternative solution, please help me.

Regards
Ragu

%%%%%%%%%%

> but if it misses in the line breakings, and if it comes in the center or
> starting of line,
> the ligature character "fi" is missing, and I am getting two characters as
> "f" and "i",
> because of the "\-" in word (def\-inition). Similarly for "fl" also.
>
> I have tried with \hyphenation{def-inition, signif-icantly,...}, removing
> all "\-" in Ligature words.
> But, I have give hundred's of such words in the preamble every time.

If you want to hyphenate to rules completely foreign to everybody
else, you should roll your own hyphenation patterns.

Are you actually talking about English, and are the above actual
examples?  Ugh.

Other than that, it might already help if you selected British
instead of American hyphen patterns.