[Tugindia] appendix in article class

Rijo John rijo at igidr.ac.in
Thu Jul 15 06:44:59 CEST 2004

Thank you Anurag and Kapil for your responses. Sorry that I had not
written clearly what I wanted. But Anurag's suggestion worked perfectly.
That was exactly what I wanted.

Regards,

Rijo John.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:

:Hello,
:
:On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:58:58AM +1000, Anurag Sharma wrote:
:>On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:24:32AM +0530, Rijo John wrote:
:> > Dear Tex users,
:> >
:> >  Can anyone tell me how can I use appendix command with the article class.
:> > I have some tables in the appendix and there is only one appendix.
:> > But I should get the tables numberd A.1 A.2 etc. in the appendix. Right
:> > now I am able to create appendix using \appendix command but the table
:> > numbers are  conitnuation of the numbers from the body of the text.
:>
:> Try:
:> \renewcommand{\theequation}{A.\arabic{equation}}
:>   % redefine the command that creates the equation no.
:>   \setcounter{equation}{0}  % reset counter
:> \renewcommand{\thesection}{A.\arabic{section}}
:>   % redefine the command that creates the equation no.
:>   \setcounter{section}{0}  % reset counter
:
:I must disagree with Anurag's suggestion. What happens in
:Appendix B and C and all the rest?
:
:To go back to John's original question. He has not really specified what
:he means by "continuation" of the numbering system. I assume that he
:means that (as in the default article settings) the tables are numbered
:linearly *throughout* the document. However, when he comes to the
:appendix he wants the numbering to be restricted to the appendix.
:
:One way to do this is to put in the preamble:
:\newcommand{\myappnumbering}{\renewcommand{\thetable}{\thesection.\arabic{table}}}
:\newcommand{\myappendix}{\appendix\myappnumbering}
:
:After this you use \myappendix instead of \appendix to switch to
:appendix "mode". You can also add other re-numbering such as equations
:figures and so on to \myappnumbering as suggested by Anurag (but with
:similar modifications to his suggestions).
:
:Ideally you should save the existing table numbering and use that in the
:definition. It is an exercise to "correct" the above scheme so that it
:is more compliant with the documentclass settings!
:
:Regards,
:
:Kapil.