[Tugindia] Table of contents

Shailesh Ashok Shirali shailesh_shirali at rediffmail.com
Sat Jan 3 20:36:38 CET 2004

Hello, all

Some time back I posted a query here on a problem I am having with
the \tableofcontents macro. The problem is this: I find that in
situations where the chapter number and the section number both
run into double digits, the entry in the Contents page produced by
the \tableofcontents macro is most unsatisfactory; I get something
that looks like this:

10.11More on conic sections

(no gap between "10.11" and "More").

I was advised to use the package "tocloft.sty". I have done this,
and the results are OK. However I would prefer to have more
control over the typesetting. How can the effect be achieved
without tocloft?

The "LaTeX Companion" suggests that the desired effect can be
achieved by varying the settings of <indent> and <numwidth>.
However my attempts to do so have proved unsuccesful. I get error
messages like "Missing \begin{document}". If I put the
\renewcommand after \begin{document} I get a most absurd result.

I would be grateful for some advice on this matter.

While I am at this, I must mention that I was studying the book
"The Font Installation Guide" by Philipp Lehman and found the
appearance of the Table of Contents very elegant indeed. Would
anyone know what style package or macro was used to produce the
effect?

Thank you.

Shailesh Shirali