[Tugindia] Alphabetical lists

Wagish Shukla wagishs at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 02:26:57 CET 2004

--- CV Radhakrishnan <cvr at river-valley.org> wrote:

> On Sat, December 4, 2004 3:28 pm, Wagish Shukla
> said:
>
> > thanks. seems to work fine. except that the
> package
> > manual nomencl.dvi says ``redefine \nompreamble if
> > want to explain something between the title of the
> > nomenclature and the start of the list''. it is
> not
> > clear what this means.
>
> [...]
>
> The following small example when compiled provided
> the output you wanted.
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{nomencl,multicol}
> \makeglossary
>  \def\nomname{List of terms}
>  \def\nompreamble{This is the preamble
> text.\begin{multicols}{2}}
>  \def\nompostamble{\end{multicols}}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \section*{Main equations}
>
> \begin{equation} a=\frac{N}{A} \end{equation}%
>  \nomenclature{$a$}{The number of angels per unit
> area}%
>  \nomenclature{$N$}{The number of angels per needle
> point}%
>  \nomenclature{$A$}{The area of the needle point}%
> The equation $\sigma = ma$%
>  \nomenclature{$\sigma$}{The total mass of angels
> per unit area}%
>  \nomenclature{$m$}{The mass of one angel} follows
> easily.
>  \printglossary
>
> \end{document}
>
> --
> Radhakrishnan
Thanks a lot. This indeed worked. Now how to insert
this kind of preamble in an index? I am using the
index package which permits multiple indices. I would
be grateful for help in the problem of adding a
preamble and a postamble in 1) multiple indices 2)
multiple glossaries and 3) multiple nomenclatures, all
in the same document.
I may add that I tried \def\indexpreamble{This is a
preamble text\begin{multicol{2}}} etc trying to
imitate this. But apparently this does not work and
the manual for the index package in the latex
companion did not help. However, the latex companion
index does have a preamble and apparently there must
be a provision for a postamble.
Thanks again.
wagish Shukla