[Tugindia] Alphabetical lists

Wagish Shukla wagishs at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 10:58:21 CET 2004

--- CV Radhakrishnan <cvr at river-valley.org> wrote:

> On Sat, December 4, 2004 8:39 am, Wagish Shukla
> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > essentially then what i want is an index type
> thing
> > with ``list of terms'' as the heading and the
> > pagenumbers suppressed.
>
> I guess, nomencl.sty might be the best candidate for
> you.
>
> --
> Radhakrishnan

thanks. seems to work fine. except that the package
manual nomencl.dvi says ``redefine \nompreamble if u
want to explain something between the title of the
nomenclature and the start of the list''. it is not
clear what this means. i tried
\renewcommand{\nompreamble}{} leaving the blank in the
second set of braces and typed \nompreamble{this}. the
output ``this'' appears on the previous page but not
after the ``List of Terms'' (this is my definition of
\nomname) and the start of the list. i want ``List of
Terms'' , then next line `this list ..' and then the
2column list should start.
Similar things are likely to be needed in an index. i
have seen the index of the latex companion which
starts with some text between ``index'' and the start
of the sorted index list.
grateful for help on this.
thanks
wagish