[Tugindia] Viewing document structure

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Tue Aug 24 05:00:01 CEST 2004

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 04:21:38PM +0530, V. Sasi Kumar wrote:
> I am writing a rather long document, and I would like to see the
> document structure so that I can rearrange material, if necessary. I
> unerstand that the code-folding feature in kile does something like
> this. Can anyone explain how this can be done? In my kile, the
> code-folding menu is greyed out. Since this is a useful feature
> available in word processors, it would be nice to have it here too.

I have not used kile---however, ...

"Folding" depends on

Either

a. the editor recognising the syntax of the document/program

Or

b. the editor specifying "comment-like" markers that can used
   by the user to specify folds.

In general, (a) is preferable to (b). As far as I know both "emacs" and
"vim" have support files which specify the syntax for TeX/LaTeX. Thus
the outline modes in these editors can be used to do what you want.

Perhaps "kile" stands for "Kile Is Like Emacs" in which case it *may* be
easy to configure to use the syntax files provided for emacs...

Regards,

Kapil.