[Tugindia] Frame boxes

Kev sooltaal at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 13:35:48 CEST 2004

Hello all and thanks for the replies regarding \fbox
under Maths environment.

I have something to share if it has not been shared
before. If a repetition, I apologise.

I have the following packages installed:
a4wide,amsmath,exscale.

I tried to typeset this:

\begin{equation}
some extra line space...
\boxed{a^m \times a^n = a^{m+n}}
line space...
\end{equation}

I noticed that upon compiling the tex file, I got
error messages informing that $ was not used
indicating the line number reflecting the extra
spaces.

So the work around [under MikTeX under Win Xp
Pro,](don't know if it also applies as strictly under
Linux or Unix) is this :

Removed all extra spaces before and after equation and
within the equation(s), replacing them by space
commands, such as  \,...\:...\quad etc., recompiling
the tex file and the file compiled beautifully.

I don't know if someone has tried this or not, but I
noticed that typesetting Maths, the extra spaces were
not `eaten' by tex and requires strict space settings.
I suppose the % should work well too, but have yet to
try this.

Thanks once again for the informative contributions to
encourage the above fault finding.

Kind thanks,

Kevin.