[Tugindia] Latex Tutorials, a primer

Ajay Shah ajayshah at mayin.org
Thu Sep 18 10:10:48 CEST 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:29:50AM +0530, Radhakrishnan CV wrote:
> I express my appreciation to your team who have contributed towards a
> nice Latex Tutorials, a primer. It's really wonderful. Also may I suggest
> something(may be it is there in the pipeline)? Can we expect a
> Tutorial/Primer in near future to install editors like Emacs along with
> other packages which is tailored for Latexing? When i read mails from the
> list, Emacs with allied packages saves lots of time and energy during texing.
> I once again congradulate you and your team for a nice tutorial.

That would really take them far afield, away from TeX.

The easiest way to get emacs and friends working is to get a debian
linux installed on your machine. Once Debian is installed, you can
install and deinstall packages with extreme convenience. E.g. you'd
just say

   apt-get install texmacs

and you would get texmacs installed. apt-get knows how to navigate the
internet, find the package, detect any other requirements which might
be missing on your machine, get them also, etc. It's a level of
automation and 'blind operation' that is breathtaking; I have never
met a more user-friendly system. Debian is hard to *install* but very
nice to use. 'Knoppix' is a decent path to installing Debian.

The page
  http://www.mayin.org/~ajayshah/COMPUTING/debian-principles.html
might help.

--
Ajay Shah                                                   Consultant
ajayshah at mayin.org                      Department of Economic Affairs