[Tugindia] Bullets

Kapil H. Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Wed Sep 17 08:23:44 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 01:26:34PM +0000, Arun Kejariwal wrote:
> \begin{dinglist}{112}
>
> \item SOMETHING
>
> \item SOMETHING
>
> \item SOMETHING
>
> \item SOMETHING
>
> \item SOMETHING
>
> \item SOMETHING
>
> \item SOMETHING
>
> \end{dinglist}
>

> How do I ensure that latex does not skip to the next page by default (which
> is happening currently) if it cannot fit in all 7 bullets in the current
> page. A 3-4 break up (say) between the current page and the next page is
> fine by me. at the same time, the indentation of the bullets should not be
> screwed during page change.

This is probably another Frequently Asked Question ...
  ... how I can I prevent TeX from deciding where to break lines
      and pages.

The reason this question is usually silly is that the whole point of TeX is to
let you concentrate on the content and let it worry about the stylised typography!

Of course, once in a while you may find that you disagree with TeX and for that
there are "penalty"s.

In Arun's case you can increase the possiblity of a break at line 3 or 4 by
decreasing the penalty for a page-break there and increasing the penalty for
a page-break at the sixth line. What are the precise commands? Read The Fine Manual.

Regards,

Kapil.