[Tugindia] Doubts in hyphenation pattern

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Oct 18 10:38:53 CEST 2003

anandhan x <a_programmer2000 at yahoo.com> writes:

> 1. How to create our own hyphenation pattern type for
> the English language.

Why would you want to do so?  There are readily available patterns
for US-American and for British hyphenations.

One usually works with preexistent hyphenation dictionaries from some
publisher and the patgen program.  It is a pretty long process.

> 2. In hyphen.tex, there are numbers are denoted for
> each pattern. What that numbers represent? (.e.g.,
> ".ach4" ".ad4der").

Read the TeXbook if you want to find out things about TeX.  Anything
else does not make sense.

In short: a . means beginning or end of work, and the other characters
are matched literally to parts of the input words (after converting
those to lowercase).  The numbers are priority numbers between
letters that are matched.  Of all matching priorities, the highest of
all matches is determined.  If it is odd, hyphenation may happen at
that point, if it is even, hyphenation may not happen.

So a 1 is a hyphenation point in a pattern, but if a pattern with a 2
matches at the same place, it overrides the 1 and prohibits
hyphenation, unless there exists a 3 or 5...  You get the point.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>