[Tugindia] Creating an index...

Sridhar M.A. mas at uomphysics.net
Thu Oct 2 19:20:08 CEST 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:42:53PM +0530, Frederick Noronha (FN) wrote:
   > A lot of manual work involved ;-) Wouldn't it be possible for someone just
   > to index one references of each word, and for the software to subsequently
   > pick up all the references? Doesn't it seem that some work that could be
   > done by a computer is being left to a human? Don't know if I'm expecting
   > too much! FN

Indexing does not mean that all occurrences of a word in the whole
document/book should be given. Is anybody interested in such a thing? I
do not think so. OTOH, an index entry points the reader to some
information/explanation of the same in different contexts.

If you still think that is too much work, think of the reader who has to
go through all the pages where the word occurs till he/she arrives at
the proper one.

BTW, can you avoid top-posting?

Regards,

--