[Tugindia] Font war [was] Matching spec...

H S Rai hsraidce at iitr.ernet.in
Thu Jun 19 17:34:59 CEST 2003

Thank you venkataraman for your solution and suggestions.

Monday at 9:21pm +0530 Radhakrishnan CV wrote:

>       Rai> Is `Times Roman' same as `Times New Roman'?
>
>   Yes and  No, they look  same, but of two  different foundries. You
>   might want to  take a look at Charles Bigelow's  article on what's
>   the difference between Times Roman and Times New Roman?, available
>   at:
>
>    http://www.truetype.demon.co.uk/articles/times.htm

Appears to be war between fonts. That mean base is same, there is some
difference  in  polishing,  which  normal  user may  not  be  able  to
visualise or appreciate.

>   The default font in TeX is Computer Modern Roman which is designed
>   by Don Knuth.

What  about comparison  of `Computer  Modern Roman'  and `Times  [new]
Roman'. Popularity  wise, quality  wise, licensing  wise? What experts
have views about these two?

In  `Computer Modern  Roman' when  `f' comes  with `l',  then combined
sometimes  appers  to be  `A'.,  while  `f'  with  `i' appears  to  be
wonderful. Would any one  like to share his/ her  view. Before you say
anything, I want to share with you that my esthetic sense is so so ;-)

--
H.S.Rai    http://www.grex.org/~hsrai | Registered Linux User # 223684
http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/runscript/display-person.cgi?user=223684

Success is sweet  and sweeter if long delayed and  gotten through many
struggles and defeats.  Amos Bronson Alcott