[Tugindia] How to typeset in two columns keeping the title andabstract in single column format.

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Sun Jun 8 16:25:21 CEST 2003

[...]

    CVR> Tweaking the default \twocolumn command would be a bit
    CVR> difficult. You need to redefine \maketitle command to include
    CVR> abstract environment also which means the default \twocolumn
    CVR> command can call the maketitle in single column mode and
    CVR> start two column at the end of abstract without breaking the
    CVR> page.

    CVR> \twocolumn[\@maketitle]

    CVR> is the command in article.cls that does the job.

    indrajit> It does not work. When I issue this command after
    indrajit> \maketitle following warning appears " You can't use
    indrajit> '\spacefactor' in internal vertical mode".

Ah, that is because you haven't changed the catcode of '@' character
to 11 with \makeatletter.

However, \twocolumn[\@maketitle] is not to be used in your document at
all. You have to redefine \@maketitle to include abstract environment
too so that when you issue the \maketitle command in your document, it
will invoke \twocolumn[\@maketitle] internally and your objectives
will be met.

Best.