[Tugindia] german chars in std letter

David Kastrup tugindia@tug.org
14 Jan 2003 12:27:28 +0100

H S Rai <hsraidce@iitr.ernet.in> writes:

> Yesterday at 11:02am +0100 David Kastrup wrote:
>
> >   > "GroßHausBerg " .
> >
> >   texdoc inputenc
> >
> >   You'll probably want \usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
>
> On Linux, I am able to get these, without use of these packages,
> using like:
>
> {\"a}, {\ss}, {\"u}

Not only on Linux: these ASCII sequences, though less readable, are
portable across all systems.  However, you should _never_ enclose
them in quotes since that disrupts ligatures and kernings.  \"a and
\"u can always be written just like that.  \ss must be followed by a
blank or punktuation so that TeX knows where the control sequence
ends.  That means that if you want a printed blank, you must request
it explicitly with \ .  In TeX style files, where you can't really be
sure what encoding has been chosen for the main document, you should
always use those ASCII transcriptions.

So you'd have something like

Ich glaube \"uberhaupt nicht, da\ss\ dieser Spa\ss vogel es ernst
meint.

instead of

Ich glaube überhaupt nicht, daß dieser Spaßvogel es ernst
meint.

Please refrain from those extra braces!

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>