[Tugindia] german chars in std letter

David Kastrup tugindia@tug.org
13 Jan 2003 14:32:37 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan <sivaram.neelakandan@wipro.com> writes:

> > From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> > Date: 13 Jan 2003 11:02:54 +0100
> >
> > Sivaram Neelakantan <sivaram.neelakandan@wipro.com> writes:
> >
> > > In a std letter, one of the address lines is in German, i.e
> > > "GroßHausBerg " .  I'm able to see the char "ß" in the emacs buffer
> > > but NOT in the generated PDF file. It comes out as "GroHausBerg".  Can
> > > someone tell me how to get german chars in a std english letter?
>
> [...]
> >
> > texdoc inputenc
> >
> > You'll probably want \usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
> >

> Right, that made it come out correctly and I also know that I haven't
> downloaded the cygwinized Tex documentation.  Guess, I'll have to get
> that too. :-)

Definitely.  It would be impolite both to the authors of the packages
(which have tried their best making their tools be usable by
documenting it thoroughly) as well as to the list (which you the use
in substitute of the available documentation) not to do that before
asking questions.

I find it very bad that some distribution vendors default to not
installing the documentations by default when you install TeX systems.

In my opinion that is irresponsible.  A user pressed for disk space
might choose to leave installing the documentations in his own
initiative, and know what he is asking for.  But if the user is
merely specifying without further qualifications that he wants a TeX
system installed, the docs should be selected automatically with
other selections.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>