[Tugindia] Stopping hyphenation

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Thu Feb 27 09:29:39 CET 2003

    Kapil> Hello,
    Kapil> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:15:33AM +0530, H S Rai wrote:

    Rai> Is there any way to stop hyphenation in whole document. Is
    Rai> that advisable?

    Rai> Or any simple way to avoid hyphenation in section and
    Rai> subsection. I find for most of sections, only "half word" is
    Rai> there in 2nd line, which looks bad (though I believe LaTeX
    Rai> do, what is good) to many.  They say hyphenation may work
    Rai> fine for paragraph, but in section etc it does not give good
    Rai> appeal. What's your view?

    Kapil> In articles, avoiding hyphenation can lead to ugliness like
    Kapil> this.

With right kind of penalties and tolerance this can be controlled or
made look good. For instance, see the two column journals of Institute
of Physics where hyphenation is suppressed by default, but looks fine
without much irritating looseness of lines.

[...]

    Kapil> In "foils"---which a LaTeX style for printing
    Kapil> transparencies or creating presentations---hyphenation is
    Kapil> avoided by setting \righthyphenmin and \lefthyphenmin to
    Kapil> 100.

Define a command

 \def\nohyphens{\hyphenpenalty=10000\exhyphenpenalty=10000}

and keep this in a redefined \section command.