[Tugindia] three questions on tables

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Thu Feb 20 14:35:41 CET 2003

Hello again,

> i have two small questions on tables. i have done info latex and could
> not find an answer.

> firstly, how do i make a table go beyond a page? my work often demands
> me to make tables longer than a page. i have googled but could not find
> a solution. could someone help with easy to understand, step by step,
> newbie kind information?

Tables are boxes (see the TeX Book) and boxes cannot go around pages.

Perhaps what you want is the tabbing environment of LaTeX wich can go
around pages.

> secondly, i have never been able to use multicolumn. i have used
> following syntax:
> \begin{tabular}{ll}
> \multicolumn{2}{l}{some text here}&\\
> \multicolumn{2}{l}{some text here}\\
> \end{tabular}
>
> none of these work. what is the correct format for multicolumn?
>
> lastly, when i use p type columns, can i not determine the alignment?
> for instance:
>
> \begin{tabular}{p{2in}p{4in}}
> some text&Some text\\
> \end{tabular}
>
> can i not get some text to be left aligned and Some text to be center
> aligned?

I could explain these but you are better off getting the LaTeX
book. If you look at the intro to "info latex2e" you will see that
that is meant as a quick reference for those who have access to the
LaTeX book or some other source of detailed info!

Regards,

Kapil.