[Tugindia] designing title pages

Sivaram Neelakantan sivaram.neelakandan at wipro.com
Fri Aug 22 18:42:05 CEST 2003

Hello,
Apologies for the long post...

I'm trying to design a title page which has the following

1. red colour frame  in the title page only
2. Logos in the places marked X; T is the Title
3. no page number on titlepage

+--------------+
| +----------+ |
| |    T     | |
| |          | |
| |          | |
| |    X     | |
| |          | |
| | X      X | |
| +----------+ |
+--------------+

The file below gives my progress towards that idea but I have the
following questions.

1. Is eso-pic the way to go? i.e are there other packages which can
achieve the same?

2. Title page seems to be counted for page numbering.  Is that
correct?  Shouldn't it be skipped while counting?

3.  How do I position the logos relative to the corner of the frame?
Right now, I've got hard-coded values.

4.  What does this code do?

  \setlength{\@tempdima}{18mm}%
  \setlength{\@tempdimb}{\paperwidth-2\@tempdima}%
  \setlength{\@tempdimc}{\paperheight-2\@tempdima}%
  %is it subtract 2 x 18 from  width & height?

So that I can independently set vertical & horizontal offsets for the
frame.  I'm clueless when it comes to Latex code.  I just copied the
eso-pic example file(s) and by trial & error got so far.

5.  How do I get an image on the page center?  Irrespective of what
    paper size I use?

With what I've written nay copied so far, I'm pretty sure to sink
further into a morass of incomprehensible code if I continue.  I do
know how to use latex but this title page design is getting way out of
my league.

regards,
Sivaram
p.s responses will be delayed as I'm subbed in digest mode.

\documentclass[a4paper]{scrartcl}
\usepackage{eso-pic,calc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
%\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\listfiles
%\pagestyle{fancy}
%\fancyhead{} %%clear all headers
\makeatletter
\AddToShipoutPicture{%
  \begingroup
  \color{red}\setlength{\@tempdima}{18mm}%
  \setlength{\@tempdimb}{\paperwidth-2\@tempdima}%
  \setlength{\@tempdimc}{\paperheight-2\@tempdima}%
  \linethickness{\LenToUnit{2pt}}%
%    \thicklines{\LenToUnit{2mm}}%
  \put(\LenToUnit{\@tempdima},\LenToUnit{\@tempdima}){%
    \framebox(\LenToUnit{\@tempdimb},\LenToUnit{\@tempdimc}){}}%
  \endgroup
}
\makeatother
%logo to go in at left bottom corner
\newcommand\LeftPicture{%
  \put(70,60){%
    \includegraphics[width=80mm,height=20mm,%
    keepaspectratio]{wt}%
  }}
%logo to go in at right bottom corner
\newcommand\RightPicture{%
  \put(425,55){%
    \includegraphics[width=40mm,height=25mm,%
    keepaspectratio]{sei}%
  }}
\AddToShipoutPicture{\LeftPicture}
\AddToShipoutPicture{\RightPicture}
\begin{document}
\begin{titlepage}
  \title{\textcolor{blue}{\Huge{Some title}}}
  \author{Sivaram N  }
%middle logo to come in here
  \date{\today}
%  \pagestyle{empty}
  \maketitle
  \thispagestyle{empty}
\end{titlepage}
\newpage
\ClearShipoutPicture
\section*{First page}
This page and all the following have no frames
\newpage
\section*{Second page}
This page and all the following have no frames
\newpage
\section*{Last page}
\end{document}