[Tugindia] Page index for .ps file in `gv'

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Tue Apr 22 16:51:25 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:55:03PM +0530, H S Rai wrote:
> I downloaded a postscript file of more than 100 pages. In `gv' on left
> hand panel, it does not show page  numbers to enable me to jump to any
> desired page number. On  converting to `.pdf' acrobat enable  me to do
> so, but screen quality become poor.

When ps to pdf conversion has poor quality there are usually two
reasons:

1. The postscript is actually made up of bitmap fonts or (even worse)
bitmapped pages.

2. You are using an old version of ghostscript.

If your case is the former then you can convert your file to images using
ghostscript (this will also separate the pages) at screen resolution
(such as 72dpi or 100dpi). Ghostscript will do the anti-aliasing which
will make this look "nice". You can then "stitch" the pages together
using latex and "includegraphics". This will produce a pdf file that
should be suitable for viewing but *not* for printing.

Regards,

Kapil.