[Tugindia] LaTeX in schools

Sridhar M.A. mas at uomphysics.net
Tue Apr 8 22:12:19 CEST 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 02:06:54PM +0530, LinuxLingam wrote:

   > and Sridhar, which school./college students do you mention, and where?

Dept. of Physics, Mysore University. Recently, I had been to another
University where I introduced the facilities of TeX (basic) and friends
and won over many youngsters.

Our students, a majority of them from rural background, had there first
exposure to computers at M.Sc. If it surprises anybody, that is the
ground reality here. I would the percentage of `computer unawares' at
70. With that background, I _feel_ emacs+auctex would be a very steep
curve to climb.

   > incidentally, KTexMaker2 has morphed into KILE, and the latest
   > version of KILE is awesome. demoeing this software to students and
   > those testing the TeX waters leads to higher success, in my
   > experience

I am impressed by kile. Any day, I am comfortable with vim.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first call promising.