[Tugindia] LaTeX in schools

LinuxLingam linuxlingam at bhairon.com
Tue Apr 8 01:15:34 CEST 2003

On Monday 07 April 2003 03:57 pm, Amitabh Trehan wrote:
> .
>
> > one we we could make a sustainable and simple adoption of TeX, is to make
> > it a mandatory subject for maths students, from class 8th or 9th onwards.
> > since maths is a subject that bridges arts, commerce, and science, and
> > computing is anyways entering all branches of education, TeX will find no
> > equal in word-processing for maths typesetting.
>
> Very nice idea. Since the technology barrier is not there anymore i.e.
> computers are now compulsorilly available, students can do mathematics
> on TeX (prob. LaTeX). I would also prefer that they write the code
> rather than use some GUI solution. In my experience young students enjoy
> the challenge of coding and it'll lead to a much better understanding of
> TeX (+ they get to use a Prog. language + a compiler etc. etc).

okay. so then implementing this idea:

1) short introductory workshop, 45 minutes, showing teachers and kids how to
type latex code.

or

2) a vocational holiday course / weekend course [but this is outta school
responsibility and initiative]

3) a special maths project

4) latex code generation as a maths competition.

5) questions on latex coding an equation, as part of internal informal school
examinations.

6) combinations of the above.

action plan?

time-frame?