[Tugindia] LaTeX in schools

LinuxLingam linuxlingam at bhairon.com
Mon Apr 7 14:48:15 CEST 2003

On Monday 07 April 2003 11:51 am, Amitabh Trehan wrote:
> Woaaa! This is an important discussion. I am only too happy to report
> that computer novices in our M.Sc. courses at Mahatma Gandhi
> Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya have taken to Linux and LaTeX (yes,
> hand creation usig GVim) like ducks to water, but I envisage a shortage
> of teachers to carry out the job meaningfully.

great show indeed. perhaps we should publicise this in relevant newspapers
and magazines....

yet, who hit the nail on the head: its a freak, sporadic, non-sustainable
success. a promise, not the deliverance.

one we we could make a sustainable and simple adoption of TeX, is to make it
a mandatory subject for maths students, from class 8th or 9th onwards. since
maths is a subject that bridges arts, commerce, and science, and computing is
anyways entering all branches of education, TeX will find no equal in
word-processing for maths typesetting.

a simple idea. and very effective.

we could even conduct short introductory sessions for school kids and even
college kids, on how to create and produce maths equations using TeX, and why
this is important.

:-)
LL