[Tugindia] LaTeX in schools

Amitabh Trehan amitabhtrehan at softhome.net
Mon Apr 7 12:51:48 CEST 2003

Woaaa! This is an important discussion. I am only too happy to report
that computer novices in our M.Sc. courses at Mahatma Gandhi
Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya have taken to Linux and LaTeX (yes,
hand creation usig GVim) like ducks to water, but I envisage a shortage
of teachers to carry out the job meaningfully.
 It is my experience that caligraphy, typography, fontography and
publishing are neglected fields of research in Indian academia but there
is unending interesting work possible there. Maybe it is because we try
to demarcate science and arts very strictly!! . So, I would suggest we
can make lot of gains by working at both ends - getting academicians
(part. computer science deptts ai IITs, univs) taking this whole area
seriously, and exposing chidren to it. Personally, I would have been
very happy to have got an exposure to caligraphy and typograpy and the
rest as a student (would have given idea of some practical use of
drawing and lot of other stuff we learn as students).

Amitabh