[Tuglist] Viewer

David Kastrup tuglist@tug.org.in
18 Sep 2002 22:45:54 +0200

"H.S.Rai" <hsraidce@iitr.ernet.in> writes:

> Today at 8:17am +0530 Dr V Ravichandran wrote:
>
> >    ... this server using telnet. They  are able to complie the latex
> >    files.  How do they preview their dvi files?
>
> Your requirement  is not  clear to  me. AFAIK, you  can't view  dvi on
> telnet  screen.

Depends on the capabilities of the terminal...  IIRC, xterms also
support some Tektronics graphic terminal emulation, and there is some
ancient dvi driver for this available.  In practice, this would
probably be less than useful.

But logging into a server via telnet does not necessarily mean that
you want to send the image data over the same connection.  telnet may
export the DISPLAY variable IIRC, and so any X command started on the
telnet console (like xdvi) would try to open a window on the same X
server that the telnet was started on.

Unless you are connected via a high speed network connection, you'd
probably rather

> Transfer file using ftp on window machine and use "dviscope" to view
> it.

or any other previewer.

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de