[Tugindia] Need Help

David Kastrup tugindia@tug.org
21 Oct 2002 13:24:06 +0200

"Baburaj A. Puthenveettil" <apbabu@mecheng.iisc.ernet.in> writes:

> Can anybody help me on this
>
> I was trying to install latex preview in
> Linux mandrake 8.0, with XEmacs 21.1 patch14
>
> downloaded preview-latex-0.7.3-1.src.rpm from source forgenet and tried to
> install it using rpmdrake
>
> I am getting the following errors
> unable to parse correctly /var/lib/urpmi/list.local
> unable to get source packages, aborting at /usr/bin/urpmq line 153
>
> Why is this?

I have no idea, since I don't know Mandrake.  Basically, RPM files
are tailor-made for a specific distribution and version, since they
usually incorporate a lot of decisions particular to the system in
question.

I would recommend that you fetch the source .tar.gz file and follow
the generic installation instructions.

If you want to have preview-latex installed under the control of your
package manager, I would recommend fetching and using the
checkinstall utility.  In that case, instead of
  make install
you would then write
  checkinstall
as the last step of preview-latex installation.  This should create
appropriate RPM files and install them, so that you can easily remove
them again if necessary.

Another possibility is to fetch the source .tar.gz file, unpack it,
edit the preview-latex.spec file in order to match your system, pack
the directory again into .tar.gz, and then use the rpmbuild command
for building RPMs suitable for installation.

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de