[Tugindia] LOST or TOAST

H S Rai tugindia@tug.org
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:43:55 +0530 (IST)

Today at 10:47am +0530 Ajit Ranade wrote:

>AR   i didn't mean to replace LOST. and the LOST #288 which points to
>AR   the latex tutorial at tugindia site is a great linux tip. but in
>AR   general  i think  we need  a *separate*  tips database  for tex.
>AR   that's because tex and linux are  very distinct. as you know tex
>AR   runs  on other  operating systems  also. like  mswindows, amiga,
>AR   mac-os etc. so putting all tex tips in the LOST database doesn't
>AR   make sense,  since these  will be,  well, *lost*  in the  sea of
>AR   linux related tips.

Even mine intensions  were also not to replace LOST. Agreed  we need a
separate database and we all will try to do our best. But, in addition
to that if LOST team wishes to use in LOST database, then that will be
just addtional covearge/ circulation. As Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

>SR  Interesting idea :) Anyway, if you could send all these pieces of
>SR  TOAST  to the  LOST  project,  which is  always  hungry for  more
>SR  contributions, it'd be great.

>AR   i  just thought  that TOAST  is  an idea  that can  be taken  up
>AR   by  tugindia,  as an  inspiration  from  LOST. after  pdfscreen,
>AR   this  tips database,  and HOWTO  files  for tex  could become  a
>AR   substantial contribution from india.

Sure

>AR   as for the modalities of compiling all tex tips and putting them
>AR   in tugindia signature line, we would need someone to volunteer!

Not only database, but how to use database as signature. If users (who
wishes to  use this  data base as  signature) of  different  operating
system and mailing program,  can take  care at  their own  level, then
fine, otherwise  that issue also  has to be addressed. Linux  user who
uses Pine  or Mutt can  use script available from  LOST, but I  am not
sure what is availale for others.

I offer  myself as volunteer to  work as a team  member. Please decide
group leader.

--
H.S.Rai

Money can't  buy happiness,  but it can  make you  awfully comfortable
while you're being miserable.                             -- C.B. Luce